Re: [openlilylib] Discuss restructuring

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: [openlilylib] Discuss restructuring
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 12:42:24 +0200

Am 07.07.2014 16:48, schrieb Paul Morris:
Urs Liska wrote
>Hm, I think I_must not_  start with such a script right now, since I
>know that this - although being not too complex - will eat up too much
>of my time and concentration.
>
>But your message triggered a little bit of thought, and I came to the
>conclusion that we should use a website (i.e. openlilylib.org) for the
>documentation.
>The script will have two stages: parsing the content of the library and
>generating documentation from the resulting internal representation. I
>think generating complete HTML pages isn't more complicated than
>generating Markdown, but the results are better to use: We have more
>control over the layout and formatting options than on a Github Wiki,
>_and_  we have a self-contained HTML site that can also be deployed
>locally.
Yep.

This might be a good opportunity to get my feet wet with PyQt, i.e. not to write a _script_ but an application. Initially this wouldn't do much more than a mere script, but with more convenient interactivity. Later it could add an interface to _edit_ the metadata (e.g. selecting from existing tags, batch renaming of tags etc.) and also the documentation strings themselves. And it can even incorporate a convenient documentation browser.

I think we should target the documentation output to be a self-contained HTML site in the repository itself (in a /doc directory) and only them consider making it available online too.

At least with the HTML part of such a documentation I'd be glad for assistance (if I really get this started at all). Not that I'm unable to do that part but others can do that better, and it's a convenient split-point to share work.

Best
Urs