Re: Follow-up question to alternate music fonts

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Follow-up question to alternate music fonts
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 08:31:35 +0200

Hi,

> All,
>
> Is there anyone who is VERY against distributing music fonts in binary form
> (i.e., as otf, svg, etc.files)? I just don't see how we can make other music
> fonts available by forcing them to have a metafont source file. I guess that
> could be nice, but it seems like so much work to do that. I have about 4 or
> 5 alternate music fonts that people could use and I certainly don't want to
> convert them to metafont. They are currently designed and built with
> fontforge.
>
> What do you think?

Does fontforge have its own format that contains a "source-like"
description of the fonts? (i have no idea how it works, all my font
work was with Metafont)  Maybe we could distribute that?

I'd say that it's important to distribute the fonts in a format that
is most accessible for modification, but if all we have is binary
files, then we have to live with that.

cheers,
Janek