Re: Shorten ledger lines

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Shorten ledger lines
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 14:43:54 -0700 (PDT)

Javier Ruiz-Alma wrote
> Am 04.04.2014 12:35, schrieb Fredrik Wallberg:
>
> I'm trying to slightly reduce the extension of ledger lines with
> "length-fraction" and "minimum-length-fraction" in a dense passage, to
> increase available spacing in adjacent bars.
> What is the proper usage for this override?  Below, I tried several
> values without any apparent change in ledger line length.
>

> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> \paper { indent = 0.0 ragged-right = ##t }
>
> notes = { g8[ f e d c b c d e f] }
>
> bars = { \repeat unfold 5 { \noBreak \notes } }
>
> myScore = \relative c''''{
>
> \time 5/4
>
> r1 a4^"No override" \bars
>
> \override Staff.LedgerLineSpanner.length-fraction = #0.5
>
> \override Staff.LedgerLineSpanner.minimum-length-fraction = #0.5
>
> r1 a4^"0.5 fraction" \bars
>
> \override Staff.LedgerLineSpanner.length-fraction = #0.1
>
> \override Staff.LedgerLineSpanner.minimum-length-fraction = #0.1
>
> r1 a4^"0.1 fraction" \bars
>
> \override Staff.LedgerLineSpanner.length-fraction = #0.01
>
> \override Staff.LedgerLineSpanner.minimum-length-fraction = #0.01
>
> r1 a4^"0.01 fraction" \bars
>
> \override Staff.LedgerLineSpanner.length-fraction = #2
>
> \override Staff.LedgerLineSpanner.minimum-length-fraction = #2
>
> r1 a4^"2 fraction" \bars
>
> }
>
> \score {
>
> \new Staff \with { \remove "Time_signature_engraver" }
>
> \myScore
>
> }

Javier,

You are doing the right thing, but there's some nuances to consider. Here's
an explanation that you may find useful that someone else asked about,
complete with graphics:

Widening-ledger-lines-by-overriding-LedgerLineSpanner
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Widening-ledger-lines-by-overriding-LedgerLineSpanner-td162842.html#a162850>

Cheers :)
-Abraham