Re: stem length in polyphony

From: bart deruyter
Subject: Re: stem length in polyphony
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 12:30:43 +0200

Hey,

thanks, both work like a charm. I prefer the version with the stems up, because the note heads are better positioned between the two other voices, it's more clear that they belong together when playing.

grtz,

Bart

http://www.bartart3d.be/
On facebook
On Twitter
On Identi.ca
On Google+

Hi Bart,

I've attached an image and a .ly example.

Here's what I'd do :

\version "2.18.2"

global = {
  \key e \minor
  \time 2/4
}

upper = \relative e' {
  \global
  s2 |
  \bar "|."
}

lower = \relative e {
  \global
  e4
  dis8 dis |
}

centerup = \relative e' {
  \global
  d16\rest g fis e fis8 fis |
}

centerlow = \relative e {
  \global
  s16 b' a g
  \override Beam.positions = #'(-3.5 . -3)
  \tweak NoteColumn.force-hshift #1.1
  a16 b
  \tweak NoteColumn.force-hshift #1.1
  a[ b] |
  \revert Beam.positions
}

\new Staff {
  \clef "treble_8"
  << \upper \\ \lower \\ \centerup \\ \centerlow >>
}

I've tried overriding the beamed lengths of the 16th notes, but it does not seem to work  with e.g. \override Stem.details.beamed-lengths = #'(0.5) . This override does work in a single voice.

Try : \override Beam.positions (see above).

I searched and found a possible solution, on a pdf I found on the web, which looks good, but I have no idea how to achieve it in lilypond,

Try :

\version "2.18.2"

global = {
  \key e \minor
  \time 2/4
}

upper = \relative e' {
  \global
  s2 |
  \bar "|."
}

lower = \relative e {
  \global
  e4
  dis8 dis |
}

centerup = \relative e' {
  \global
  d16\rest g fis e fis8 fis |
}

centerlow = \relative e {
  \global
  s16 b' a g
  \stemUp
  \override Beam.positions = #'(2 . 2.5)
  \shiftOnn
  a16 b a[ b] |
  \revert Beam.positions
}

\new Staff {
  \clef "treble_8"
  << \upper \\ \lower \\ \centerup \\ \centerlow >>

Pierre