Re: Repeat volta not at beginning of piece doesn't get initial repeat ba

From: John McWilliam
Subject: Re: Repeat volta not at beginning of piece doesn't get initial repeat bar line
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 05:03:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
        I have followed this discussion with interest having had a similar
problem myself. Bagpipe music (marches) have a standard format, usually four
parts and each part is repeated and may have alternative endings. The repeat
bars are shown at the beginning and end of each part (including the
beginning)
and alternative endings may be the same for up to two parts. When this
involves
the fourth (last) part the alternative ending is usually closed with \bar
"|."

        I have had problems following this format in Lilypond.
- visuallising all repeat bars.
- combining \repeat volta and \set Score.repeatCommands causes warnings and
  premature closure of the volta spanner.
- using \bar "|." in the middle of a piece (This you seem to have solved
  as far as using \bar "||" is concerned but the solution doen't work for
  \bar "|."
I enclose the following snippet to illustrate my problem and hope that
somebody
will be able to respond with suggestions.

\version "2.18.0"

music = \relative c' {
        \key c \major \time 4/4

%Part I with two alternative repeat ends
        \repeat volta 2 {
        e4. e8 f4. f8 }
        \alternative { {
        g4. g8 a4. a8 }
        {
% If the following volta text is introduced the previous repeat bar
disappears
% and a warning reports premature closure of the volta spanner. The spanner
% remains open to the right.
%       \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "2. --1,2"))
        b4. b8 c4. c8
%       \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
        \bar ".|:-||" \break }
% The second ending should finish with \bar "|." as this is also the ending
for
% the second part and as such the end of the piece. Introducing \bar "|.",
% however, surpresses the repeat bar at the beginning of the second part. I
also
% tried \bar ".|:-|." with a similar result.
        }
%Part II with the same repeat end as part I
        \repeat volta 2 {
        e4. e8 f4. f8
        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "1."))
        g4. g8 f4.f8
        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
        }

}% end relative

\score  {
   \new Staff { \music }