Re: Barline at beginning of lines of music.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Barline at beginning of lines of music.
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 16:11:44 +0100

On Mon, 2014-07-14 at 10:49 +0200, Marc Hohl wrote:
> Am 13.07.2014 18:45, schrieb Richard Shann:
> > On Sat, 2014-07-12 at 13:15 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> [...]
> > \version "2.18.0"
> > \defineBarLine "]" #'(":||" "||" "||")
> >
> > {
> >      c2 \bar "]" c2 \bar "]"
> >      \break
> >      \bar "]"
> > }
> >
> > This I read as saying that \bar "]" should show as a double bar when
> > mid-line (my interpretation of the third element of the list, called
> > "span" in the documentation. But it is typesetting as a horned solid
> > barline.
>
> No, 'span' covers the appearance of the bar line *between* staves.
> The first argument (']' in your example) is used for bar lines mid-line.

Ah, I see, so my explanation should rather read:
"This and other special bar lines may be inserted manually at any point.
Each special barline prescribes *four* things - what to show if the
barline occurs at the beginning of a line, what to show when it comes
mid-line, what to show when it coincides with the end of a line and what
to show when it is spanning staffs (ref: definBarline).
When they coincide with the end of a measure they replace the simple bar
line which would have been inserted
there automatically. When they do not coincide with the end of a measure
the specified bar line is inserted at that point in the printed output,
according to its position on the line. If two \bar commands come one
after the other, the first is ignored."

and with this I can write, for example

\version "2.18.0"
A = \bar "||-A"
\defineBarLine "||-A" #'(":|||" "]||:" "||")
 {     \A  a'4 a' a' a' \A
        a'4 a' a' a' \A }

this defines a customised version of the double bar line which does not
affect the standard one, but prints out differently at the beginning and
end of lines.

Thank you very much for helping me through this

Richard