Re: Question for all LilyPond users (especially power users)

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: Question for all LilyPond users (especially power users)
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 06:17:52 -0006

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 4:56 PM, Noeck <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Urs, it seems like I missed something. How did you create those scores? ... What is the Cadence font?
Joram, I can answer for Urs. ... The Cadence font was the first result of that effort.
Hi Abraham, thanks! Now I know what I was missing. That's very interesting. I would like to give some feedback which is clearly very subjective and perhaps your work continued such that some characteristics are obsolete. Anyway, here it is: I understand the reasoning with the rounded outlines, but I think not all shortcomings of the traditional technique need to be copied. I like the treble clef (the roundings are ok, but more for the straighter downward line). For the bass clef I am not sure which on I like more. The inner roundings of accents looks a bit like overdoing to me. The same for the dash of the forte f. I would say a balanced mixture of rounded and sharp corners is a valid choice, too. The arpeggio looks smoother. Concerning the accidentals, I am undecided. It looks a bit more 'natural' like traditional notation, but also a bit less perfect... This is most visible for the sharp. I prefer the Feta versions of the natural and flat signs. The former because it is narrower and the latter because it has a more consistent line width. That's perhaps an issue with the font-switching, but the noteheads of the Candence font are larger than the staff space and thus visible below and above staff lines and overlaps with the stems. All in all a smaller rounding radius might me a better compromise in my opinion. The treble clef is the biggest improvement in my eyes. As you said you can't please everybody. I enjoy your work and I am looking forward to the font switching feature. Cheers, Joram _______________________________________________ lilypond-user mailing list address@hidden https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user

Joram,

Thank you for your thoughts and comments. I can't say that any design choice I made was the "right" one. The main thing that motivated my decisions was that I wanted a classic printed look on modern printing technology. With laser printers, things can look so crisp, which is very useful, but not quite the look I was going for. Am I the only one who likes this look? Maybe. When I show a printed piece that was engraved using Cadence to musicians, I have had overwhelmingly positive feedback about how good it looks relative to classically engraved scores, compared to other computer engraved scores. LilyPond is surely partly to blame for this :), but they like how it doesn't look like it was done on a computer.

Anyhow, it is what it is. I have made some design changes since that topic thread, but going beyond Cadence, I also wanted to make other fonts available to LilyPond users because I have had so much fun with them. When I do so, I hope you will too!

Regards,
Abraham