Re: Barline at beginning of lines of music.

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Barline at beginning of lines of music.
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 11:08:16 +0200

> Am 15.07.2014 16:14, schrieb Richard Shann:
>
>> Well, I'm not sure I follow the distinction between defined bar-types
>> and not, this code
>>
>> \version "2.18.0"
>> \defineBarLine ":" #'(":" ":" ":")
>> \defineBarLine "|" #'(":" ":" ":")
>> \score {
>>
>>      \new PianoStaff <<
>>          \new Staff = "RH"  <<
>>           \new Voice  {
>>           c''  c'' c'' c'' c'' c''  }
>>          >>
>>          \new Staff = "LH"  <<
>>           \new Voice  {
>>            c''  c'' c'' c'' c'' c''  }
>>          >>
>>      >>
>> }
>>
>> gives no warning but prints the double dots above instead of below the
>> top staff.
>> But perhaps that is a separate bug.
>

> IIRC, it is not possible to use the repeat colons as span bars, they are
> placed above the first system and not repeated even if you use more than two
> staves (and therefore more than one instance of a span bar).

Yep, `make-colon-bar-line' is _not_ defined to be used as a SpanBar.
Although not tested, I think one can find more bar-lines which would
behave like this, _if_ used as a SpanBar.
In general, making bar-lines user-accessible includes the risk that
non working code or code with bad output is used. Ofcourse we tried to
minimize that risk and/or to warn accurately.
Though, it seems the docs needs some improvements.

For now I'll post a little tutorial how to create bar-lines in a
follow-up, replying James' up to now unanswered mail.