Re: Barline at beginning of lines of music.

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Barline at beginning of lines of music.
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 08:19:21 +0200

Am 16.07.2014 11:15, schrieb Richard Shann:
On Wed, 2014-07-16 at 08:38 +0200, Marc Hohl wrote:
Am 15.07.2014 16:14, schrieb Richard Shann:
Well, I'm not sure I follow the distinction between defined bar-types
and not, this code

\version "2.18.0"
\defineBarLine ":" #'(":" ":" ":")
\defineBarLine "|" #'(":" ":" ":")
\score {

      \new PianoStaff <<
          \new Staff = "RH"  <<
           \new Voice  {
           c''  c'' c'' c'' c'' c''  }

          \new Staff = "LH"  <<
           \new Voice  {
            c''  c'' c'' c'' c'' c''  }

}

gives no warning but prints the double dots above instead of below the
top staff.
But perhaps that is a separate bug.

IIRC, it is not possible to use the repeat colons as span bars, they are
placed above the first system and not repeated even if you use more than
two staves (and therefore more than one instance of a span bar).

well, we are back to the question of what should the docs say, "IIRC"
here refers to ...?

'IIRC' refers to me having rewritten the bar line interface with *a lot of* code and good ideas from Thomas Morley, but barely having touched the code base since then. I'm not fully into the details yet and it's sometimes hard to remember what we have done two years ago ;-)

Do you have a real-world example where this would be of some use?

Not at all - the bug would just be that there is no warning, and strange
output (I take it there is no real-world use for the repeat dots
hovering in the air above the top staff?).

I think so.

Marc