Re: Updating a score from version 1.4

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Updating a score from version 1.4
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 11:38:33 -0600

On 14-07-17 10:52 AM, Larry Kent wrote:
Thanks, James, David, and Hwaen. Convert-ly doesn't handle version 1.4 very well, not surprising. The current project I'm working on is a very short piece, so I may just start over with this one. Long-term, however, it would be nice to find somewhere that a user can grab an old version, install it in a separate folder and work on an old edition.

Would it work if you were to install an intermediate version of LilyPond, perhaps 2.8.0 and use the convert-ly from that version to get you part way, then run convert-ly from your current version to finish the job? This is untested, but may be a more general solution than simply recoding from scratch. In principle, it's nearly always worth the effort to bring an old score up to current levels when you are revising it, although as you imply, it may not be useful for a minor revision or two.

Cheers,
Colin

--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both
hands. You need to be able to throw something back.