Re: Updating a score from version 1.4

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Updating a score from version 1.4
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 23:05:54 +0200

> I'm thinking this implies that convert-ly is best used
> incrementally by LP version, with no intermediate
> upgrading omitted.  So, with original code at Ver 'A'
> and my destination Ver 'E', then for best results I'd
> install Versions B, C, D and run all four convert-ly's
> (A->B; B->C; C->D; D->E)?
>
> Is this right -- that convert-ly is meant to be applied
> cumulatively?
>
> Regards,
> Pete

convert-ly contains converting-rules from _all_ versions.
Therefore I'd use the _newest_ convert-ly to update an old file.

Nevertheless, there are quite often issues like:
"not smart enough to ..."

But there's the option to convert to a certain lily-version:
convert-ly --to=2.14.1 myfile.ly

see:
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/usage-big-page#command-line-options-for-convert_002dly

Maybe I'd convert carefully from one version to the next and fix all
occuring problems manually.

Cheers,
  Harm