Re: [openlilylib] generated docs, HTML/CSS help desired

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: [openlilylib] generated docs, HTML/CSS help desired
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 07:18:16 -0700 (PDT)

Urs Liska wrote
> to give you quick access and a first impression on what I've done on the
> openlilylib documentation you can have a look at
>
> http://openlilylib.org/demo-oll/git-commands.html

Hi Urs,

This is great progress and it's looking good!  I have some thoughts about
the layout but I think it would be helpful to see what things look like with
all the files/modules/items before going too far with the design.

One thought is that the metadata and status info could fit nicely in a thin
column, perhaps in a 3rd column on the right, in a 3-column layout?  That
would get the snippet definition up higher on the page.  But I'm just
thinking out loud, and this depends on a lot of other things, and might be
getting ahead of ourselves.

Are you planning on having a page that lists all the files by category
(and/or by name?) with just their title and description, as an overview of
the whole collection on one page?  I might start with that as the entry
point to the documentation.  Seems like once you have that in place the file
migration can go forward since that meets the need of easily navigating the
library (that is currently provided by github).  Then it will be easier to
work confidently on the html/css after the migration.

Sorry I don't have much time to help out at the moment...

Cheers,
-Paul