Re: When a singer speaks rather than sings.

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: When a singer speaks rather than sings.
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 22:07:29 +0200

Am 23.07.2014 22:03, schrieb address@hidden:

In a vocal part I am notating, while the singer mostly
sings notated pitches, there are a few parts
where the singer will speak text in notated
rhythm.

When this is done is scores that I have seen,
sometimes it is done with just stems, flags and
beams (but no note heads) such as in
the Charles Ives song "Charlie Rutlage".
I have also seen it just written with
the note heads as "x"s on a stave (such as
with a percussion score).  How does
one go about implementing either method
in lilypond?  I do prefer the latter, though.

Thank you for your help.

For the first you can simply remove the noteheads with

\omit NoteHead

(this will take effect in the voice immediately after you've written it).

To revert back to normal singing write

\undo \omit NoteHead.

For your desired appearance use

\override NoteHead.style = #'cross