Re: When a singer speaks rather than sings.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: When a singer speaks rather than sings.
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 22:15:42 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> In a vocal part I am notating, while the singer mostly
> sings notated pitches, there are a few parts
> where the singer will speak text in notated
> rhythm.
>
> When this is done is scores that I have seen,
> sometimes it is done with just stems, flags and
> beams (but no note heads) such as in
> the Charles Ives song "Charlie Rutlage".
> I have also seen it just written with
> the note heads as "x"s on a stave (such as
> with a percussion score).  How does
> one go about implementing either method
> in lilypond?  I do prefer the latter, though.

Here are two variants for 2.19.0 (with earlier versions, you'll need to
repeat the pitch before each duration in the rhythmic section):

\version "2.19.0"
\new Voice { \xNote { c'' 4 4. 8 8 8 1 } }
\new Voice \relative { c''4 d e f
                       \temporary\override NoteHead.style = #'slash
                       b, 4 4. 8 8 8 1
                       \revert NoteHead.style
                       a1

David Kastrup