Re: Aw: Re: Pseudo-handwritten font

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Aw: Re: Pseudo-handwritten font
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 14:08:41 -0700 (PDT)

Keith OHara wrote
> Torsten Hämmerle
> <torsten.haemmerle <at>
>  web.de> writes:
>
>>  I've attached a zip file containing the current (albeit unfinished)
>> versions of the LilyJAZZ music and LilyJAZZ Text font plus the
>> corresponding LilyJAZZ.ily include.
>
>> The main obstacle is the rigid way Lilypond handles its (her, his?)
>> internal music font.
>
> One effect of those difficulties is that the function that builds the
> jazz-font key-signature needs to change with version 2.17.1 and later.
>
> I had expanded the options for how to print the key signature in that
> versions, so we need to adapt 'jazz-keysig' to the new interface.
> Changing a few lines to Thorsten's code as below works for me.
>

> #(define (jazz-keysig grob)
>   "stencil: jazz key signature (including cancellation)"
>   (let* ((altlist (ly:grob-property grob 'alteration-alist))
>     (c0pos (ly:grob-property grob 'c0-position))
>     (keysig-stencil '()))
>     (for-each (lambda (alt)
>          (let* ((alteration (if (grob::has-interface grob
> 'key-cancellation-
> interface) 0 (cdr alt)))
>          (glyphname (assoc-get alteration jazz-alteration-glyph-name-alist
> ""))
>          (padding (cond
>            ((< alteration 0) 0.25)  ; any kind of flat
>            ((= alteration 0) 0.05)  ;  natural
>            ((< alteration 1) 0.1)   ; sharp (less than double sharp)
>            (else -0.4)))            ; double sharp
>          (ypos (key-signature-interface::alteration-positions alt c0pos
> grob))
>          (acc-stencil (fold (lambda (y s)
>                               (ly:stencil-add
>                                 (grob-interpret-markup grob
>                                   (markup #:raise (/ y 2) #:jazzglyph
> glyphname))
>                                 s))
>                             empty-stencil
>                             ypos)))
>          (set! keysig-stencil (ly:stencil-combine-at-edge acc-stencil X
> RIGHT keysig-stencil padding)))) altlist)
>     keysig-stencil))

All,

I realize that this thread is kind of old now, and a lot of work has gone
into making LilyJAZZ work using some fun and fancy Scheme code, but it would
appear that the once practical use of "\jazzOn", etc. should be abandoned in
favor of the work I've done at making LilyJAZZ a fully compatible font? Just
thinking out loud...

BTW, I've tried contacting Torsten again to see if he has a licensing
preference for LilyJAZZ and LilyJAZZText (OFL, GPL, or whatever). Waiting to
hear back now, though based on others' comments, he may be out of reach
since last year.

Regards,
Abraham

P.S. Way to go Torsten! LilyJAZZ is awesome! Can't wait to get your work out
in the LilyPond mainstream! Should be soon :) so stay tuned!