Re: Subbeaming and first measure grace notes

From: Abel Cheung
Subject: Re: Subbeaming and first measure grace notes
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 15:02:32 +0800

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 7:02 AM, Hans Aberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> This is a fix in both variations of placing the grace notes. The reason for
> putting them inside the triplet is quite subtle: I want them to be possible
> to expand to 1/32 notes, and having them outside makes the first tuplet 1/8
> note too short. It looks better though having them outside.

The only important factor you want to decide putting grace notes
inside / outside tuplet is, whether tuplet bracket should enclose the
grace notes. For the duration of grace notes, you can use
\scaleDurations to scale them down to the length you want [1] .

About settings disturbed by grace note, it seems that's a well known
issue not going to be fixed. Settings are applied to real notes
afterwards but not during grace notes. \partial spacer plus invisible
bar might be the workaround you want.

If grace notes can stay out of tuplet bracket, in practice I found
\afterGrace attaching with \partial spacer looking much nicer than
\grace attaching with note afterwards.

[1] See the Known issues of Grace Note section of
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/special-rhythmic-concerns