Re: See the new music fonts in action

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: See the new music fonts in action
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 12:54:28 +0200

On 26. Juli 2014 12:17:46 MESZ, "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>WOW!! just... wow!

>> All,
>>
>> I couldn't wait any longer, so here's a formal announcement about the
>new
>> music fonts that I've been working on, by way of example. They are
>all 100%
>> LilyPond compatible for both PDF and SVG output. They all (except
>Gonville)
>> support the full LilyPond glyph set (up to LilyPond version 2.18.2).
>>
>> So far, there are now 9 music fonts in addition to LilyPond's default
>> *Emmentaler* (also called /Feta/ in the official docs). Here's a
>taste test:
>>
>> - *Amadeus* (SCORE look-a-like):
>>
>> SCORE comparison <https://db.tt/pN6iRsgH>
>>
>> Can you guess which one is really engraved using SCORE?
>
>Bottom one:
>- slurs have different thickness and shape,
>- stems and ledgers are thinner than in LilyPond,
>- staccato placement on stems differ,
>- rest placement in polyphony differs,
>- "dim" font is different
>
>Nevertheless, it is very similar :)

Is there an option to rename that font?
Somehow it's like mimicking Finale's appearance with a font named Sibelius ;-)

>> - *Cadence* (a tweaked Emmentaler by me):
>>
>> Grieg's Piano Concerto in A-minor (Adagio) <https://db.tt/icYgT0M3>
>
>Nice!  I'd say that the beams are a tad too thick, but looks good
>overall.
>
>> - *Gutenberg1939* (old removeable-type style):
>>
>> Canon in 3 Voices <https://db.tt/RBjSKBLK>
>
>Looks fancy!
>
>> - *Haydn* (like a classic Edition Peters style):
>>
>> Magnificat <https://db.tt/CX14jc3z>
>>
>> You can compare this with a commercial version (Kapellmeister) on the
>> Sibelius Blog from a few months back:
>>
>> Original Score
>>
><http://www.sibeliusblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Magnificat-in-D-BWV-243.pdf>
>> Kapellmeister on Sibelius
>>
><http://www.sibeliusblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/magnificat-Full-Score-dragged.pdf>
>
>"Our" version looks better :D  In particular, our notehead shape is
>much more like the original - although the flags are significantly
>differrent.
>
>> - *LilyJAZZ* (a pseudo-handwritten style, originally by Torsten
>Hämmerle):
>>
>> Crazy Jazz Tests <https://db.tt/T1WwGLiz>
>>
>> This has been upgraded a bunch, by myself and others, including a
>complete
>> glyph set (notation and text) and updated chord font.
>
>cool!
>
>> - *Paganini* (remapping of Kristof Bastiensen's /Parnassus/,
>originally for
>> MuseScore):
>>
>> Nalada (Paganini) <https://db.tt/GdyXV0kX>
>>
>> - *Profondo* (Bravura anyone? This is a remapping of Daniel
>Spreadbury's
>> SMuFL-compliant font):
>>
>> Nalada (Profondo) <https://db.tt/1B9JoPz0>
>>
>> Compare this with  Bravura in Sibelius
>>
><http://blog.steinberg.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/fibich-bravura.pdf>
> .
>
>It would be great to have the engravings done in the same page layout,
>for better comparison.
>
>> - *Ross* (from Ted Ross's famous notation book /The Art of Music
>Engraving
>> and Processing/, and named after him):
>>
>> Nalada (Ross) <https://db.tt/5uHcypFg>
>
>Hmm.   Somehow this doesn't feel like Ross (although maybe it's
>because i've only seen the scans, not the print).  It seems to me that
>staves and other lines should be thicker.
>
>> I realize that this is a little like drinking from a fire hose, since
>this
>> has never been done like this before,
>
>indeed!
>
>> but if you're like me, I think you'll
>> like having lots of choices. These are all properly licensed, so they
>will
>> be free to use, copy, and share!
>
>I LOVE IT!!
>And i would also love to see a post on Lily blog, and a news item -
>this deserves a lot of publicity, it's a major feature IMO!

Of course we'll do that but only when it's really ready for use.

>> If you have any other ideas for music fonts that you'd like to
>use/create,
>> drop me a line and we'll talk :)
>>
>> More to come, so stay tuned! Let me know if any of the above links is
>> broken.
>
>We definitely should gather these in some visible place when all the
>infrastructure for using these fonts is stable.

We have fonts.openlilylib.org as a temporary download location, but we could
keep that for a permanent place (if not openlilylib.org/fonts seems more
suitable).

>I think it actually
>deserves to be put on the website!

Definitely!