Re: tenorized treble clef

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: tenorized treble clef
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 18:05:03 +0200

Am 27.07.2014 16:30, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
Hi,

LilyPond has a treble clef with added C-clef-like stuff:

{ \clef "tenorG" c' }

(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-11/msg00661.html)
However, it seems to me that these added lines should be positioned
half a staff-space lower.  After all, C clef indicates the position of
middle C:

{ \clef "tenor" c' }

The way we have it right now, the extra "claws" point to d instead of
c.  I see that the engraved example provided in the thread linked
above has this positioning, but I think that's a mistake on the
clef-punch manufacturer's side.  What do you think?
I think there is a misunderstanding here which originates in a logical inconsistency of this design: For all I know, this clef has only been in use in France in the first half of the twentieth century (examples I have seen are from the late 1930’s), and quite exactly in the shape that Lily now reproduces, with the “claws” pointing to the fourth line (counted from the bottom), as they do with the tenor clef. However, the “claws” are not actually indicating the position of the middle (or any other) c, but rather serve as a mere reminiscence of the specific tenor clef and the reader is supposed to conclude that the following notes are in a tenor register, that is, an octave lower as with a normal g clef. And indeed it is confusing and, strictly speaking, wrong that the g and c clefs mixed in this shape contradict each other. So, nothing wrong in Lily’s adaptation there, only I have my doubts if it’s really a good idea to reactivate this clef, except for nostalgia reasons ;-)

Best regards, Simon