Re: predefined mandolin tuning wrong?

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: predefined mandolin tuning wrong?
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 22:28:24 -0600

On 14-07-28 03:42 AM, BB wrote:
Sorry, I reduced the code too much! I started with the following code trying to redefine a fretboard:

\version "2.18.0"

#default-fret-table

\chordmode {a:m7}

%#guitar-tuning

%#"5;x;5;5;5;x;"

#mandolin-tuning

#"o;o;o;o;"

theChords = \chordmode {

a:m7

}

\score {

<<

\theChords

}
It does not work as intentionally planned! it shows me the notes of the Am7 twice. But #"o;o;o;o;" should redefine Am7 and show g-d-a-e (low to high)?

Regards BB

The answer is the same as it was yesterday on the -bug list: please read the Notation Reference Section 2.4.1 on Common notation for fretted strings, and particularly the subsection on Predefined fret diagrams. In it, you will find a section describing the use of the mandolin fretboard. Once you have worked that out, and if you still have problems, come back and let us know. You may have thought the problem was more complex that it really is, and gotten too deep into the guts of fretboard markups. Your first step should always be to start at the beginning of the Notation Reference, and look at the first possible section you find. Generally, the common and easy stuff is earlier in the manual than you might expect, and quite a lot of things are easier than you might expect with LilyPond.

Cheers,
Colin
--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands.
You need to be able to throw something back.