Re: assigning a MIDI loudness to a defined dynamic string

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: assigning a MIDI loudness to a defined dynamic string
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 18:03:02 +0200

Knute Snortum <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks David.  That was the document I was working with but I missed
> setting the dynamicAbsoluteVolumeFunction and I didn't know how to compare
> the dynamic passed in to the markup.
>
> Slightly OT: I obviously don't know Scheme or Guile.  I am a programmer,
> though.  What would be the best way for me to get good at reading and
> writing LilyPond functions?

Well, the "Extending Guide" and the GUILE manual.  I think that there is
a bit of an intro to Scheme usage in LilyPond in the Tutorial and/or the
User manual.

Other than that: the list is pretty good reading.  While the LSR has a
lot of examples, they tend to be the creation of a single person with
mixed experience, and partly for older versions of LilyPond.  So even
when they work, there is a danger of them being more complex than
necessary.

In contrast, the discussions on the list tend to lead to examples that
tend to be as simple as one can hope it gets.

--
David Kastrup