Re: Customised key signature for mensural music

From: Pierre Perol-Schneider
Subject: Re: Customised key signature for mensural music
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 18:41:42 +0200

Hi Phil,

A piece of music in the Musica Transalpina from 1597 in the F clef in the
key of F major has a key signature that has two B flats: one in the normal
position and one above the stave lines.  I know how to do that, but it is
also offset to the right, and with a smaller flat sign.  Does anyone know
how this could be done?

I first thought I could simply scaled the flat glyph but the result looks bad.
So I'm afraid you'll have to use your own eps glyph.
Here's what I've done (I've taken horizontal and vertical proportions from your pic.):

\version "2.18.2"

myFmaj = \markup \raise #1.1 \override #'(baseline-skip . 2) {
          \general-align #Y #CENTER {
             \epsfile #X #2.2 #"doubleFlat.eps"

\score {
 {
   \clef F
   \key f\major
   \hideNotes
 \layout {
   \context {
     \Score
     \override KeySignature.stencil = #(lambda (grob)
         (grob-interpret-markup grob myFmaj))

As you can see, this is fairely simple.
But of course, it would be more elegant to create just the small flat glyph and integrate it whith a scheme function just for the highest pitch.

HTH,
Pierre