Re: Toolchain: hardcopy -> scanned sheet-music -> lilypond?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Toolchain: hardcopy -> scanned sheet-music -> lilypond?
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 14:50:08 +0100

On Fri, 2014-08-15 at 15:28 +0200, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I wonder if anyone discovered a toolchain that would allow to
>
>  1. scan sheet-music (e.g. solo transcriptions with many many notes
>     ...)
>
>  2. convert the scanner-output to lilypond (maybe via an intermediary
>     format like xml or so)?
>
> and what kind of software they used for it?

audiveris is the front runner for this, but it is quicker if you can
read and play music to enter the music using a pc and MIDI keyboards as
demonstrated in my video http://vimeo.com/62188678
The commercial front runner for scanned music for a long time was
SharpEye, it may not be so now, but fixing mistakes which these programs
makes is enormously more effort than playing in music IMHO.
I say this having just tried to import a PDF using pdf2music pro and
finding that even in this case (i.e. not scanned but computer typeset
music) the recognition is not good enough to save effort.

Richard