Re: texinfo manual?

From: Hwaen Ch'uqi
Subject: Re: texinfo manual?
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 23:54:22 -0400

Greetings,

I have never used `C-u C-h i', and my emacs is currently down, so I
canot exactly replicate your situation. However, one thing I have
consistently had to do with these installations is to manualy update
the dir file in the /usr/share/info directory; this is why some files
may not appear to be present upon first glance. Again, this will
likely have to be done as root. Before making any changes to the file,
study carefully its contents; you will want to emulate the format in
your own additions. Basically, each entry consists of four parts. The
first is the asterisk (*), which tells the info reader that a new
entry has begun. The second is the title which you would like to see
given in the main menu. I don't remember offhand, but it may be
followed immediately by a colon (:); if so, you MUST include this. The
third is the actual file names without the .info extension; make sure
that it is placed in parentheses, matches exactly the case of the file
name (since case sensitivity rules in linux), and is closed with a
period (>) AFTER the parentheses. Finally, fourth is the short
description of the file's contents. I have found that the last part is
optional. Your current dir file will most likely not have a LilyPond
section heading. You can easily instantiate one, preceding it with two
newlines and following it with one. I recall that in ubuntu's
installation, there was the possibility of quickly entering
subsections of the LilyPond manuals. I don't know how to do this, but
I believe that entries in the dir file should reveal this.

One final note: I have found that, when adding or updating a program
via the automated process, and if it comes with an info file, ubuntu
will rewrite the dir file, and your contributions wil be missing. Not
to panic! A backup file, dir~, will be made, and you should find your
changes there. Copy them and insert them into the new dir file. It is
a small inconvenience, but it is worth the ability to use the latest
versions of LilyPond!

I hope this answer was somewhat useful.

Hwaen Ch'uqi

On 8/18/14, Steven Arntson <address@hidden> wrote:
> "Hwaen Ch'uqi" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Hmmm. Dense? I hardly doubt it! Perhaps you might try this: Reinstall
>> lilypond with the .sh script but also call for documentation,
>> something like this:
>>
>> sudo sh LILYPONDFILENAME.sh --prefix=PATH --documentation
>>
>> From my experience, this will take substantially longer to download,
>> but you wil then have the complete documentation locally - at least in
>> html format. But it may be that this direction also grabs the texinfo
>> files and places them in the aforementioned lilypond/usr/share/info
>> directory? Having always downloaded and installed lilypond this way, I
>> have never noticed whether the --documentation flag was neded to
>> obtain the .info files. I do hope this works.
>>
>> Hwaen Ch'uqi

>>> My lilypond/usr/share contains:
>>>
>>> emacs
>>> fonts