Feeling stupid about markup functions

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Feeling stupid about markup functions
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 00:37:09 +0200

Hi,

I've been feeling stupid about this but now I finally have to ask for it ...

I can define a markup function \playing so that

\version "2.19.11"

#(define-markup-command (playing layout props text) (markup?)

"Print an technical performance indication (like sordini or instrument change."

(interpret-markup layout props

(markup #:italic

#:with-color (x11-color "blue")

text)))

{ c -\markup \playing "pizz" }

applies some consistent formatting to the markup string "pizz".

But for many applications I would like to be able to write

{ c-\playing "pizz" }

or even define a command to be used like

{ c-\pizz }

Unfortunately I don't have _any_ clue how to achieve both or any of it. Trying anything out I can come up with just triggers errors that confuse me even more.

Any help appreciated

Best
Urs