modalTranspose with chromatic

From: address@hidden
Subject: modalTranspose with chromatic
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 10:29:54 +0000 (GMT)

I'm having a problem with chromatic scales and \modalTranspose.  According to:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/changing-multiple-pitches#modal-transformations
 it should be possible to do what I want.  Ascending passages work as expected.
 Descending ones do not.  I get an unexpected octave displacement.  The
following code produces the odd result.  What I want is for each descending
motive to simply descend a chromatic octave without leaping up an octave.  What
is going on and how can I achieve my desired result?

-David

%%%%%

\version "2.18.0"

chromaticScaleUp = \relative c { c cis d dis e f fis g gis a ais b }

chromaticScaleDown = \relative c { c b bes a as g ges f e es d des }

motiveUp = \relative c {
  c8 cis d dis e f
  fis g gis a ais b
  c4. r
}

motiveDown = \relative c' {
  c8 b bes a as g
  ges f e es d des
  c4. r
}

\score {
  \relative {
    \clef F
  \time 6/8
  \modalTranspose c g \chromaticScaleUp \motiveUp
  \modalTranspose c g \chromaticScaleDown \motiveDown

%%%%%