Qsynth/Fluidsynt output on MacBook/Kubuntu

From: Guy Stalnaker
Subject: Qsynth/Fluidsynt output on MacBook/Kubuntu
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 23:01:54 -0500

Dear friends,

I know this is not true "lilypond" topic, but I also know that many of you have extensive experience using lilypond with various operating systems, etc.

I have an old MacBook that I have repurposed into a Kubunty laptop. The only serious issue I'm having is with audio ouput via Qsynth/Fluidsynt. Audio works fine. I can test the audio successfully. I can play digital streaming audio with Clementine. I can play lilypond midi output files via timidity from the command line. All these work find.

But ... if I load Fluidsynth via Qsyth (which is how I use Fluidsynth on two other Linux system) and then run Frescobaldi and play midi output files, the sound is filled with so much noise it's hardly recognizable as music. Sometimes the music will suddenly come through clearly, but most often it does not. I've played with using both Alsa and Pulseaudio and both result in noise. I have not, because I really loathe using it, used Jack Audio.

So, two questions -- has anyone had a similar Linux experience where system audio is fine, but Fluidsynth output is not? Second question is whether one can use Timidity (in its server mode ) with Frescobaldi for midi output?

Thanks.

Guy Stalnaker