Re: Qsynth/Fluidsynt output on MacBook/Kubuntu

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Qsynth/Fluidsynt output on MacBook/Kubuntu
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 09:15:09 +0200

Il 01/set/2014 06:02 "Guy Stalnaker" <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> But ... if I load Fluidsynth via Qsyth (which is how I use Fluidsynth on two other Linux system) and then run Frescobaldi and play midi output files, the sound is filled with so much noise it's hardly recognizable as music. Sometimes the music will suddenly come through clearly, but most often it does not. I've played with using both Alsa and Pulseaudio and both result in noise. I have not, because I really loathe using it, used Jack Audio.

Did you specify the soundfont in Qsynt settings? Which one?
Alternatively, try launching this command in the command line and then start Frescobaldi:
fluidsynth -a alsa /path/to/soundfont

> So, two questions -- has anyone had a similar Linux experience where system audio is fine, but Fluidsynth output is not? Second question is whether one can use Timidity (in its server mode ) with Frescobaldi for midi output?

I used to use timidity. In debian you can configure it to run as a service.
Just yesterday I tried using fluidsynth in a similar way but I don't know yet how to use it "as a service" (don't want to use qsynth or launch fluidsynth manually). More details in a recent thread on frescobaldi users group.