Re: Cross-staff voice with modified context.

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Cross-staff voice with modified context.
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 21:24:59 +0200

Hello again,

Am 05.09.2014 um 20:37 schrieb Hwaen Ch'uqi:
Greetings Simon,

Thank you so much for your response. Yes, there was a silly oversight
in my code which I have now corrected. Below is the code again
followed by the compilation messages. I have also attached the rather
strange result as a pdf.

Hwaen Ch'uqi

\version "2.18.2"

\score{
  \new PianoStaff<<
    \new Staff = up {
      \key des \major \time 2/4 \clef treble \relative c'{
the problem lies here: the key, time and clef commands must be inside the \relative environment. I don’t fully understand how this comes about, but it reminds me of <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/usage/common-errors#an-extra-staff-appears>, the first sentence in particular. So the fault seems to lie with the automatic creation of voice contexts that you employ, and indeed: explicitly creating voice contexts would also solve the problem, though it would be more a more involved approach.
	<<
	  {
	    f4 es
	  }
	  \\
	  {
	    s2

    \new Staff = down \with{
      \consists "Span_arpeggio_engraver"
    }
    \key des \major \time 2/4 \clef bass \relative c'{
      \set Staff.connectArpeggios = ##t
      <<
	{
	  aes,16 des \change Staff = up \voiceTwo f aes \change Staff = down
\voiceOne aes, c \change Staff = up \voiceTwo ges' aes
	}
	\\
	{
	  des,,2

GNU LilyPond 2.18.2
Processing `Cross.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
Cross.ly:25:11: warning: adding note head to incompatible stem (type = 1/4)

          aes,16 des \change Staff = up \voiceTwo f aes \change Staff
= down \voiceOne aes, c \change Staff = up \voiceTwo ges' aes
Cross.ly:25:11: warning: maybe input should specify polyphonic voices

          aes,16 des \change Staff = up \voiceTwo f aes \change Staff
= down \voiceOne aes, c \change Staff = up \voiceTwo ges' aes
Cross.ly:25:57: warning: cannot find context to switch to
	  aes,16 des \change Staff = up \voiceTwo f aes
                                                        \change Staff
= down \voiceOne aes, c \change Staff = up \voiceTwo ges' aes
Cross.ly:25:88: warning: adding note head to incompatible stem (type = 1/4)
	  aes,16 des \change Staff = up \voiceTwo f aes \change Staff = down \voiceOne

                aes, c \change Staff = up \voiceTwo ges' aes
Cross.ly:25:88: warning: maybe input should specify polyphonic voices
	  aes,16 des \change Staff = up \voiceTwo f aes \change Staff = down \voiceOne

                aes, c \change Staff = up \voiceTwo ges' aes
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...
Cross.ly:25:18: warning: no viable initial configuration found: may
not find good beam slope
	  aes,16
                 des \change Staff = up \voiceTwo f aes \change Staff
= down \voiceOne aes, c \change Staff = up \voiceTwo ges' aes
Cross.ly:25:93: warning: no viable initial configuration found: may
not find good beam slope
	  aes,16 des \change Staff = up \voiceTwo f aes \change Staff = down
\voiceOne aes,

                     c \change Staff = up \voiceTwo ges' aes
The warning about
no viable initial configuration found: may not find good beam slope
cannot be avoided in many cases, so you have to ignore it – or, more elegantly, if it bothers you insert the scheme command I used in the attached file, once for every instance of the problem.
Layout output to `Cross.ps'...
Converting to `./Cross.pdf'...
Success: compilation successfully completed

Best regards, Simon