Re: Upbeat as full measure or not?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Upbeat as full measure or not?
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 12:32:02 +0200

I find the version with the upbeat _slightly_ misleading.

But more importantly I'd consider the relation with the last measure in this kind of music. Usually the last measure plus the upbeat make one whole measure together. In your case this would strongly indicate using a full measure with a leading rest.

In addition, if you compare the beginning with m. 6 (of the full-measure example) I'd say this isn't actually an upbeat but rather a rhythmic gesture - which also points in the same direction.

HTH
Urs