In wait for a subsequent word (sorry how can I put it)?

From: Son_V
Subject: In wait for a subsequent word (sorry how can I put it)?
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 08:21:58 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry for the uncomprehensible subject - the question: it's easy when you
have a word hyphenated between some notes - like "San __ \skip4 ctus"; but
if you have a word that's finished but must be sung for some other notes,
like "ctus" that must be sung for say other four notes, I usually leave no
"__" or "--"; sometimes it can be misunderstooding. Is THERE A RULE FOR
THESE SITUATIONS, and how could eventually I make these signs appear?
Thanks.