Re: In wait for a subsequent word (sorry how can I put it)?

From: Brian Barker
Subject: Re: In wait for a subsequent word (sorry how can I put it)?
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 17:19:23 +0100

At 09:05 07/09/2014 -0700, Vincenzo Auer wrote:
... I usually (is it right?), as in your example, write "Sanc __tus" and if "tus" must be sung for say other four notes I do not add anything after "tus". But it could be miserunderstooding for who plays the score. But I wonder if there is a RULE for those situations.

Yes. Elaine Gould (Behind Bars, page 447) says: "An extender, a line of stave-line thickness, follows a final syllable or monosyllabic word that extends beyond one written note, including a tied note. The line extends to the last written note, but not to the end of the duration. Any punctuation goes at the end of the word, before the extender" and "No extender is needed where a syllable occupies the length of its written duration ...".

Brian Barker