Re: Henle Music font

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Henle Music font
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 16:26:23 -0700 (PDT)

Henning Hraban Ramm-3 wrote
> At least in most of Europe and the USA there’s no copyright on the look of
> fonts at all, just sometimes a trademark on the name. That’s why there
> exist so much clones under different names.
>
> The rationale behind the „missing“ copyright is somewhat complicated (I
> previously explained it at least once on this list), but it goes like „if
> it would be a work of art, then you could not easily read it“ (so it might
> apply for extraordinary titling fonts).
>
> The 1973 "Vienna Agreement for the Protection of Type Faces and their
> International Deposit“ should solve the legal problem but was never
> ratified.
>
> On the other hand in the EU there is a 3-year-copyright on newly published
> fonts.
>
> In the UK and some other legislations there exists a copyright on „sweat
> of the brow“, that is valid for fonts (but lasts only 25 years), plus a
> copyright on the design of books (typographical arrangement of published
> editions).
>
> In Germany there’s also no copyright on the design of sheet music or notes
> (but of course on the edition of a piece), even if some publishers claim
> it.
>
> German Wikipedia:
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechtsschutz_von_Schriftzeichen
> English Wikipedia (not so extensive):
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property_protection_of_typefaces
>
> IANAL
>
> Greetlings, Hraban
> ---
> fiëé visuëlle
> Henning Hraban Ramm
> http://www.fiee.net
> http://angerweit.tikon.ch/lieder/
> https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

Hraban,

Thank you for this information. It's very helpful!

I'd just like to mention that the purpose of this work is NOT to make a
clone of the CURRENT, or recent, Henle font. I don't even want to go there.
It's just not what I do. I have a great respect all the hard work that goes
into designing a font and I don't want to be a black-market copycat even
though it may be "legal" to do so in the US. I can't control what others do
with Henle's designs, but that's where I stand on the matter.

Thus, the current plan for the Henle look-a-like font would be to digitize a
nice design from the mid-1900s. I'm still deciding which one (for there are
many), but I should have that decided soon. I'll post some actual Henle
score images to get everyone's thoughts and recommendations on the matter
before I begin creating the font.

Regards,
Abraham