Re: Rest with tie behaving differently than note

From: David Bellows
Subject: Re: Rest with tie behaving differently than note
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 16:46:57 -0700

>So it will ignore any intermediate RestEvents being of a different type altogether.
So I think you’ll have to work with that.

Thanks Simon, and it is as I feared. My workaround is inelegant but it does work.

Dave

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 2:45 PM, Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello David,

Am 14.09.2014 um 18:58 schrieb David Bellows:
In the following code Lilypond correctly creates the tie to the note even when it's left out (a tie just to a duration):

\version "2.19.13"
\score{
  \new Staff {d4~ 16}
}

But if you try to do this with a rest:

\version "2.19.13"
\score{
  \new Staff {r4~ 16}
}

It prints a note (middle C) instead of that second rest.

I also encountered that behaviour some days ago and if you look at how things work internally, then it’s only natural:
Try
%------
\version "2.19"

\void \displayMusic { 4 }
%------

and you’ll see that the standalone duration creates a NoteEvent with only a duration property, pitch being undefined. In a RhythmicStaff, it won’t need a pitch, whereas in a normal Staff it will inherit the pitch of the previous _NoteEvent_ (or use the ‘default’ pitch, middle C: #(ly:make-pitch 0 0)). So it will ignore any intermediate RestEvents being of a different type altogether.
So I think you’ll have to work with that.

HTH, Simon