Re: Printed manuals, why not?

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Printed manuals, why not?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 22:54:22 +0200

Hi, I would be glad to have the option to buy printed manuals for LilyPond; I
thought of making it from some printing service, but for a 834 page book I
should pay 40 Euro, something like 55USD. It could  (maybe) be something to
have a contribution. Has no one thought about this? Thanks.

Just today  I've been wondering which is the preferred format of lilypond users to read the documentation.
I know that some prefer PDF (and especially the PDF protfolio provided by Nick, which allows search across the manuals) and very few  (I guess) like the info format.
Probably most prefer HTML.

I think also that most don't want to print 800 pages that are going to be obsolete after one or two years (depending on the release cycle).
Not to mention that you can't search or jump on paper.

My opinion is that a printed documentation doesn't make much sense. What would be interesting, especially for commercial/funding purposes, is a book which can offer something that the documentation doesn't offer already.