Re: HELP: Editor for Blind People

From: Antonio Gervasoni
Subject: Re: HELP: Editor for Blind People
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 22:47:32 -0700 (PDT)

> What I would also encourage you to do is to send an email to Wilbert or
> add your suggestions to Frescobaldi's own tracker to maybe say why it
> isn't a good choice.

Great idea! I will do that!
I do use Frescobaldi and I agree, it's really nice! The problem with it is
that the log cannot be read, i.e. you can't "focus" on the log as a separate
window (or panel) and go line by line with a cursor. As a result, VoiceOver
can't read the contents of the log. Clicking on the log (something
impossible for him) makes VoiceOver say "you are currently on unknown".

> Is there any particular reason that your student cannot 'keep it simple'
> and use a text editor or lilypad that comes with a mac (which is very
> simple but does the job)?

Yes, I thought of that too. In fact, just the Lilypond app would be enough.
No need for a separate text editor. However, I must say it IS cumbersome. I
have tried this approach with him before. He has to go constantly from one
window to another and then browse for the MIDI file every time he wants to
play it. I was just hoping there would be some editor which could make
things easier for him. Also, in order to check if there was any error he has
to read the log completely after every compilation (sometimes files can be
compiled even with errors). A feature to take him directly to the exact
place where the error is located would be also very nice. Otherwise, he
would have to look for it manually. (For some strange reason, Frescobaldi
doesn't take you to the line where the error is located but to the following
line instead... on a Mac, at least).

Antonio