Re: Spanner.center.text property?

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Spanner.center.text property?
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:19:29 -0500

Hi Kieren,

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 9:10 PM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi David et al.,

What’s the current status on “measure-attached spanners”?
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-12/msg01032.html>

I haven't been able to look at this, unfortunately.

Now it's possible to come up with a rudimentary grob, but doing this right seems like it would be quite a task, since there will be all sorts of complications like
--Should this be an enhancement of TextSpanner, or a new grob? (The latter would be easier, I would think.)
--The ability to break the spanner line to accommodate the text, with tweakable surrounding space
--Situations like ri -- tar --- dan --- do (which we really should support with TextSpanners)
--Ability to center text on the "musical" space (discounting prefatory material like meter and key signature) or between barlines..
--What to do with such spanners broken across lines.

This would be a great capability to have, of course, and I've thought about it recently.  (I have to make chord-spelling exercises with centered Roman numerals, and I don't like using the extra-offset trick I've been using.)

And I'd love to work on it, too, but time is limited and I can't offer more than "maybe sometime" :(

 --David