Re: Time signatures ¢¢ and cc

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Time signatures ¢¢ and cc
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 14:20:01 +0200

Am 26.09.2014 um 04:10 schrieb Dan Eble:
I have a hymnal in which many songs have time signatures with symbols
"cc" and "¢¢" [doubled cut-time symbol].  I can't find any information on
these online.  Does anyone know what they actually mean?  Were they
common historically, or is this hymnal just using them ad hoc?

My hypothesis based on the context and the feeling of the songs as they
are usually sung is that "¢¢" is 4/2 (i.e. 2/2 + 2/2) and "cc" is a misprint.
("cc" appears very rarely.)
I don’t think either of them is a misprint. The double cut c time signature occurs in Schubert, op. 90, no. 4 (see <http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/00364>, page 15) for example, and I do recall having seen double c in a similar kind of music also, so this kind of time signature has been in use historically: apparently mostly during the early 19th century. Now the interpretation and history of the various time signatures derived in some way from mensural notation is a complex issue, as is the disambiguation of c and cut c. There are numerous historical dependencies, some controversially discussed, and I don’t think it’s the music typographer’s job to make any judgement. In any case, both the double time signatures you describe add up to a measure length of 4/2, only the musical meaning may subtly differ.

HTH, Simon