Re: Time signatures ¢¢ and cc

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: Time signatures ¢¢ and cc
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 15:27:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014, Simon Albrecht wrote:

Now the interpretation and history of the various time signatures derived in some way from mensural notation is a complex issue, as is the disambiguation of c and cut c.

One of the things I remember from my music Theory and History classes is that C had not much to do with the letter "C" but was in fact half of a circle. The Circle O was used when there were 3 beats in a measure, the Tempus Perfectum, 3 being the Holy number: God, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. In contrast the "human" 4/4 time was "Imperfectum" - just the half of a circle, making it look like the letter "C".

Listening to the Radio and Spotify, where 99% of the music is in 4/4 time, I am afraid God is not in a winning mood these days ;-)

--

MT