"winning mood" Re: Time signatures ¢¢ and cc

From: Roland Goretzki
Subject: "winning mood" Re: Time signatures ¢¢ and cc
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 16:04:58 +0200

Hello list, hello Martin,

You wrote:
> One of the things I remember from my music Theory and History classes is
> that C had not much to do with the letter "C" but was in fact half of a
> circle. The Circle O was used when there were 3 beats in a measure, the
> Tempus Perfectum, 3 being the Holy number: God, the Son, and the Holy
> Spirit. In contrast the "human" 4/4 time was "Imperfectum" - just the half
> of a circle, making it look like the letter "C".

That's very interesting.

Otherwise I remember, having heard at my studium, that 3 beats (perhaps
in church history AFTER that, what you have pointed out) got in
miscredit in the eyes of church, because 3 beats were used namely in
dances and other "low level things of the world" (pardon, but I'm not a
native speaker), ab bit similar to the tritonus, in german called
"Teufels-Quinte" ("fifth of the devil").

And so ...

> Listening to the Radio and Spotify, where 99% of the music is in 4/4
> time, I am afraid God is not in a winning mood these days ;-)

... perhaps HE is in a winning mood anyway? ;-)

Best Regards           Roland