Re: Thanks to David Nalesnik and Jan-Peter Voigt

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Thanks to David Nalesnik and Jan-Peter Voigt
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 07:53:19 -0500

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:28 AM, David Nalesnik <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Jay Vara <address@hidden> wrote:

I wonder two things:

(1) Is there a way to combine the notes and rests in the 1/4 division of the bars?

Not sure what you mean.

In the example below, it looks strange that there are two tied eighth-note Gs instead of a single quarter-note.  The engraver ought to combine them, especially since I asked for 1/4.  (It does this when the division is 2/8 as well.)

(2) Why the inconsistency in the rests in the 3/8 divisions?  Quarter-eighth is correct.  Why is this reversed the second time?

I think what it has done is correct. It is reversed the second time because in that case the first rest is split into eights by the Completion_rest_engraver. Whatever rest occurs on the barline is split and no attempt is made to correct the input. Is this not what you expect?

I'm expecting the result to be notated correctly, and this snippet isn't.  The 3/8 division of the bar should be notated with a dotted-quarter rest (or in older practice a quarter rest followed by an eighth).  An eighth followed by a quarter rest is incorrect.

For me this sort of thing would be a deal-breaker with using the completion engraver with compound meters.  These are errors I'd like to be able to correct, and you can't do it here.  At least not that I know of.

Perhaps the notational problems here are related to the obviously bad results below.  Don't believe I'm doing anything wrong.  Why does the dotted half refuse to be split?

I'll have to do some study of the code to see what's going on.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.18.2"

musicA = {
  \compoundMeter #'(3 2 3 8)
  \relative c' {
    c'2. d4 b2. c4 a2. b4 g2. a4 f2. g4
patterning = {
  \repeat unfold 8 {
    \set Staff.completionUnit = #(ly:make-moment 3 8)
    s4. \bar "!"
    \set Staff.completionUnit = #(ly:make-moment 2 8)
    s4 \bar "!"
    \set Staff.completionUnit = #(ly:make-moment 3 8)
    s4. \bar "||"
\score {
  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice \musicA
    \new Voice \patterning

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Voice
      \override SpacingSpanner.uniform-stretching = ##t
      \remove Note_heads_engraver
      \consists Completion_heads_engraver
      \remove Rest_engraver
      \consists Completion_rest_engraver