Re: Figured bass - rest - hepl please

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Figured bass - rest - hepl please
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 12:31:34 +0100

On Sat, 2014-10-04 at 09:57 +0000, Helena K. wrote:
> Hi,
> it is from Joseph Umstatt - early classic. The manuscript not digitized
> and it is from one monastary collection - I can't publish it all. Rather -
> if I manage to finish it, the whole score will be published in Juny for
> free (maybe IMSLP too).
>
> There are seventh as well as 1/8th note rests.

I guess you meant to write "there are seventh chords as well as 1/8th
note rests"?
Unfortunately the scans you provided don't give (much?) evidence of
seventh chords distinguishable from "1/8th" rests, and all the places
where the "1/8th rest" occurs sound like places where a seventh chord
might be found - difficult to say without seeing what the other parts
are doing at those points in the music.
My guess, based admittedly on partial evidence, is that these are in
fact intended as indications of a seventh chord, not some sort of Tasto
Solo indication or ... After all, a player of the period would have had
as much difficulty distinguishing that symbol from a 7 as we have after
studying the handwriting style.

HTH

Richard