Re: losing a bar number when the first beat is irregular

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: losing a bar number when the first beat is irregular
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 23:09:27 +0200

Am 04.10.2014 um 21:22 schrieb Son_V:
If a piece starts with an incomplete measure this measure doesn't have a
number

Well, thanks. I've searched on "beyond bars" 2011 ed. but I wasn't able to
find a reference to this problem. Nor I was able to found a way in the
index: no "irregular beats". Maybe it's hidden in another chapter.
But I thought I should make like I saw in the score I'm transcribing (and I
admit I'm only a beginner, a newbie). And that should mean that some
commercial sheet music are realized without respecting some basic rules, and
that they can confuse a beginner like me; isn't it, what do you say?
This is nothing of a surprise. Most music typeset nowadays is full of (sometimes really awful) errors of all kind, and in most cases LilyPond does it right instead, and thus makes a good reference in itself (generally). It helps to know the rules yourself, though.

Best regards,
Simon