Automatic ottava handling

From: David Bellows
Subject: Automatic ottava handling
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 08:52:38 -0700

This is probably asking a lot, but is there a way to have ottava markings used automatically? It sounds like a complicated function since you'd also want it to be able to span consecutive notes but being able to specify when (as in how many ledger lines above the staff) it would kick in would be really nice. The project I'm working on automatically generates Lilypond files so I can't do this manually. I have given some thought as to how I would do it in my software but was hoping someone else had already tackled the problem from a Lilypond perspective.

Thanks,
Dave Bellows