Re: How to handle changing transpositions

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: How to handle changing transpositions
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 12:10:43 +0200

Hi Urs,

I will see, what I can do about it. If you don't see an answer within the next week, don't hesitate to contact me again.

For now best,
Jan-Peter

On 07.10.2014 12:03, Urs Liska wrote:
Sorry about the premature sending ...

Am 09.09.2014 13:18, schrieb Jan-Peter Voigt:
Hi Urs,

I see a lot of action on the Fried-Crowd-Project :) ... it is great luck
to me but also a pity that I started my new job ...
well, I don't have a key-turn-solution, but just a hint on the
auto-transpose snippet in OLL
https://github.com/openlilylib/openlilylib/tree/master/editorial-tools/auto-transpose
It can auto-transpose from concert to instrument pitch and vice versa.
So it should be doable to create an engraver that either creates a clef
on transposition change or changes the instrumentTransposition on clef
change.

Just a thought - now back to work! ;)

Hi Jan-Peter,

thank you for the idea (and the initial contribution)
While we have decided to simply omit that problem for the horns your snippet is the perfect solution for the changing clarinets in a or bes.

Unfortunately the snippet doesn't run on current LilyPond versions.

Running on 2.18.2 works

Running 2.19.4 throughout 2.9.11 works but gives a warning:

Interpreting music...

warning: Event class should be a list

Running 2.19.16 doesn't compile and outputs:

Parsing...

Interpreting music.../home/uliska/git/openlilylib/openlilylib/editorial-tools/auto-transpose/definitions.ily:64:18: In procedure ly:make-stream-event in _expression_ (ly:make-stream-event (quote key-change-event) (quasiquote #)):

/home/uliska/git/openlilylib/openlilylib/editorial-tools/auto-transpose/definitions.ily:64:18: Wrong type argument in position 1 (expecting pair): key-change-event

When looking in the definitions file I see that there's nothing I can do about it, so I have to ask you politely to update that snippet. If it can be fixed it would be good to use the lilypond-version-predicates from https://github.com/openlilylib/openlilylib/tree/master/general-tools/lilypond-version-predicates
to make the function generally accessible (i.e. execute the right code depending on the used LilyPond version).

Best
Urs

Cheers, Jan-Peter