Re: empty left space in measures

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: empty left space in measures
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 11:26:16 -0500

Hi Kai,

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 11:05 AM, "Dr. med. Kai Lautenschläger" <address@hidden> wrote:
Thanks Trevor,

Am 9.10.2014 um 15:44 schrieb Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>:

> Kai, you wrote Thursday, October 09, 2014 2:27 PM
>
>> In many of my scores for choral pieces I see an effect, that I could
>> not make a minimal example for. So my question is, if anyone has
>> seen this and could point me towards the usual suspects of reasons for this behaviour.
>
>> Often I see a expanded empty space at the beginning of measures.
>> The measures are engraved with lilypond standard (no tweaks or overrides) and
>> it is obviously not linked to lyrics (I tried leaving them out and changing the
>> length of syllables). I does also not change, if I reduce to one staff or voice.
>> I suspect something linked to chopping the music into measures is the reason,
>> but I have no clue, how to find out more. Maybe it is connected to linebreaking, too.
>
> No idea.  I think you'll need to post the source of the smallest example you can which
> shows this effect - no lyrics, one staff, one voice.  And don't forget the version!

Since this particular score I am working on is very extensive and some of the code goes way over my head, I was hoping for an idea where to start minimizing (I was dreaming of something like: start with the vertical spacing - I had that once and it was linked to that). Just an idea or an hint rather then an answer. The programming pros in the list often showed this gut feeling in what area one could look for an error/problem. As soon as I succeeded in making minimal example, half (or more ;-)) of my problem will be solved.

A start would be to chop out most of the measures from your example.  Why not try limiting the score to just the measure you've highlighted?

As Trevor says, you will really need to post some sort of example, and the shorter the better.  Then you will likely get a quick answer to your problem.

Several questions I have (since you'd like a "hunch"):
--Is there something in another part, not shown, which occupies space?  Like groups of grace notes?
--Is there something hidden at the beginning of measures, like a TimeSignature?
--Is there some sort of override of the X-extent of BarLine somewhere?

That's all I can think of.

--David