Re: Contemporary Music Notation

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Contemporary Music Notation
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 10:24:38 +0200

Am 09.10.2014 06:31, schrieb Marco Bagolin:
The notation contemporary music is so diverse, I know.
I wonder if actually Lilypond has commands for drawing graphic symbols, as line circle, curve, square, circle, etc...

I'll give you a few places to start:

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/formatting-text.html#graphic-notation-inside-markup
This shows how you can add graphical elements where you could use text.
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/graphic
This gives an impression what can be done here. Very important may be the \path, the \epsfile and the \postscript commands.

A nice thing about LilyPond's approach is that once you have invented something you can make it available as a command so it can easily be reused. You can also make such commands process arguments so they can be versatile and context-dependent.
As an example have a look at the attached image. This is what someone on the list (Piaras Hoban) came up with when I asked for a function to write a stemmed glissando notation. The underlying function is quite complicated but you can use it by simply writing
\stemmedGlissando #'(15 . #f) c'4

to tell LilyPond that the next glissando will have 15 stems and no (the #f) trailing grace note to indicate the target note.

http://lilypondblog.org/2014/04/using-special-characters-from-smufl-fonts/
This only deals with including glyphs from the SMuFL standard (which already gives a lot of useful symbols for contemporary notation), but it shows how you can replace default note heads with arbitrary elements (e.g. something you created with the above graphic commands).

http://lilypondblog.org/author/nsceaux/
although not dealing with contemporary notation these posts may also be of interest for you.

In general you should expect that it won't be an immediate success story for you if you have to learn LilyPond itself *and* the specific problems of contemporary notation in one step. But I can only recommend giving it a try and have some patience. Maybe you should *not* immediately start with a real-world project with a deadline ;-)

As I said things one defines can be made available as commands. And as such there is the inherent possibility to put them in a library.
You may have a look at https://github.com/openlilylib/openlilylib. This library could well use a contemporary-notation category, and if you should stick to the idea it would be possible to create a really useful library along with your learning experience.

Best
Urs