Re: Time signature differs from measure length

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Time signature differs from measure length
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 21:13:26 +0200

Am 10.10.2014 um 12:45 schrieb Noeck:
-----Original Message-----
I want to write a piece with a alla-breve time signature but with four half
notes in a measure (4/2).

Is it better to overwrite the time signature stencil and use \time 4/2 or do it
like this:

\version "2.18.2"

\relative c'' \scaleDurations 1/2 {
   \time 2/2
   r2 g g g | f f g b | b a b1
}
Noeck,

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-09/msg00603.html
might be of help.

Mark
Thanks. I should have found this.
My main question which solution is more correct? Scaling the durations
or changing the printed time signature?
For the printed output it doesn’t matter. Scaling the durations seems most tedious to me, and overriding the stencil is also more complicated than a third possibility:
\time 2/2
\set Timing.measure-length = #(ly:make-moment 4 2)
But it’s up to which coding you prefer, actually. To me, a really "correct" solution would be \override TimeSignature.style – but this works only for \time 4/4 and \time 2/2. So you need to use something more intrusive.

Best, Simon