Re: Automatic multimeasure spacer rests?

From: ViniWolfling
Subject: Re: Automatic multimeasure spacer rests?
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 13:23:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

Thank you dearly for your help. Unfortunately I don't think starting every staff with spacers and writing the music afterwards won't do...

I should have given an example like you did. I apologize. My bad.

Suppose we have 30 measures written in one part. When the other part has only 2 measures, we put a s1*28 in the end so that it will have blank measures in until 30.

\repeat unfold 30 c'1 }
Two = { d1 e1 s1*28 }

\score {
   <<
     \new Staff <<
       \One %music up to measure 30

     \new Staff <<
       \Two %2 + 28 whole spacer rests

Now when we write 2 more measures, making it a total of 4, we have to change that 28 into 26, so that it will still stop at 30, right? Otherwise, part two will end at measure 32, which is not intended.

\repeat unfold 30 c'1 }
Two = { d1 e1 f1 g1 s1*26 } % !!!!!

\score {
   <<
     \new Staff <<
       \One %music up to measure 30

     \new Staff <<
       \Two %2 + 26 whole spacer rests

So whenever we add music to any part that's not the longest one, we have to subtract spacer rests. Is there an auto-subtract?

Like, instead of saying "I want 28 spacer rests here, now I want 26, now I want 20, now I want 14..." there could be a goal-oriented statement like, "Fill this part with spacer rests up until measure 30, regardless of how many measures I've written as of now"

That way, as long as the goal doesn't change (which it will, but much less often), Lilypond would guarantee all the parts end at the same point with blank measures. Part two could have 4 implemented measures and 26 spacer rests, while part three would have been written until measure 10 and filled up with the remaining 20 measures automatically.

Not sure if this exists, though. Could be a feature request, but I'm not sure others would benefit from it. I totally see how I would.

Thanks again for helping out. I really appreciate it. :)
-Vini