Re: Feedback Request for Music Fonts

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Feedback Request for Music Fonts
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 18:04:51 +0200

Hi Abraham,

thanks for your reply.

>> Does your machinery allow to take these numbers
>> from Bravura for example and put it in a normal text font?
>
> By default, the tuplet numbers come from whatever is set to be the
> \roman font.

\version "2.19.14"

\transpose c c'
{
  % default (Century Schoolbook)
  \tuplet 3/2 { a8 a a }
  % bold (Century Schoolbook) - closer to Bravura
  \override TupletNumber.font-series = #'bold
  \tuplet 3/2 { a a a }
  % from Emmentaler (bold numbers) - your suggestion
  \override TupletNumber.font-encoding = #'fetaText
  \override TupletNumber.font-size = #-4
  \tuplet 3/2 { a a a }
  % tuplet number from Bravura (U+E883) - what I wanted!
  \override TupletNumber.font-name = "Bravura"
  \override TupletNumber.font-size = #3.5
  \override TupletNumber #'text = "ξΆƒ"
  \tuplet 3/2 { a a a }
}

This example shows four different tuplet numbers. The last one is what I
wanted: the dedicated Bravura tuplet number on code point U+E883.
To achieve that I had to put Bravura in /usr/share/fonts. I was
wondering why installing it under Ubuntu does not work and copying into
/usr/share/fonts of the LP directory structure does not work, neither.

A real solution would be if this number would be calculated
automatically. But I couldn't get it to work:
\override TupletNumber #'text = #(integer->char
  (+ 59520 (tuplet-number::calc-denominator-text)))

I am trying that out, because it would help to get a consistent style
for the new fonts including the text font part.

>> 2) Do you or does anyone know text fonts similar to the ones used in
>> many old scores, like here:
>> http://javanese.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/7/7f/IMSLP00115-Chopin_-_Ballade_No1.pdf
> I've often looked for some nice fonts like those. A nice one I've found
> is called "OldStandardTT". It's free and supports an extensive character
> set including Latin, Greek, and Cyrillic:
>
> http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/old-standard-TT

Just to share what I found yesterday:
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/DubielPlain

But I am not really convinced (there are some irregularities e.g. in the
letter a).

> I'm actually working on a few right now that have a similar feel as
> those found in the Chopin score, but I can't say when they'll be done
> and ready for prime-time.

I will be interested whenever it gets ready.

Joram