Re: Feedback Request for Music Fonts

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: Feedback Request for Music Fonts
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 00:48:46 -0006

Joram,

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Noeck <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Abraham, thanks for your reply.

\version "2.19.14" \transpose c c' { % default (Century Schoolbook) \tuplet 3/2 { a8 a a } % bold (Century Schoolbook) - closer to Bravura \override TupletNumber.font-series = #'bold \tuplet 3/2 { a a a } % from Emmentaler (bold numbers) - your suggestion \override TupletNumber.font-encoding = #'fetaText \override TupletNumber.font-size = #-4 \tuplet 3/2 { a a a } % tuplet number from Bravura (U+E883) - what I wanted! \override TupletNumber.font-name = "Bravura" \override TupletNumber.font-size = #3.5 \override TupletNumber #'text = "ξΆƒ" \tuplet 3/2 { a a a } } This example shows four different tuplet numbers. The last one is what I wanted: the dedicated Bravura tuplet number on code point U+E883. To achieve that I had to put Bravura in /usr/share/fonts. I was wondering why installing it under Ubuntu does not work and copying into /usr/share/fonts of the LP directory structure does not work, neither.

From my experience, LP only looks for Century Schoolbook and the music/brace fonts in that folder. Any other text font should be installed in a regular system location. On Ubuntu, if you put Bravura in "/home/YOUR_USER_NAME/.local/share/fonts", then you should be able to do what you tried above (manually, of course).

A real solution would be if this number would be calculated automatically. But I couldn't get it to work: \override TupletNumber #'text = #(integer->char (+ 59520 (tuplet-number::calc-denominator-text))) I am trying that out, because it would help to get a consistent style for the new fonts including the text font part.

I agree. That is a great idea! I don't have enough Scheme experience to know how to modify the text property like that, but that would certainly be very nice. On the other hand, I could just create a simple tuplet numerals file for your needs :) It would probably be better to access the glyphs from the complete Bravura font file, but sometimes you've got to take measures into your own hands and try something simpler. I doubt Steinberg will ever be changing those glyphs, so it's probably a safe bet.

2) Do you or does anyone know text fonts similar to the ones used in many old scores, like here: http://javanese.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/7/7f/IMSLP00115-Chopin_-_Ballade_No1.pdf
I've often looked for some nice fonts like those. A nice one I've found is called "OldStandardTT". It's free and supports an extensive character set including Latin, Greek, and Cyrillic: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/old-standard-TT
Just to share what I found yesterday: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/DubielPlain But I am not really convinced (there are some irregularities e.g. in the letter a).

Yeah, that one looks nice, but I agree that it's not as well constructed as we would like.

Regards,
Abraham